Monday, January 25, 2010

i told you to be kind.




bon iver 
i discovered bon iver on a trip to my parents house in whitman last year.  bon iver? Parent’s house? i realize this sentence is somewhat confusing – who discovers amazing music at their parent’s house in a 55+ community in whitman? i do! the simple answer here is that on holidays and random other trips home both my brother and i use our parents mac mini and frequently upload music in the itunes there.    mostly i brush past my brother’s lookatthatfinghipster music but sometimes there is reason enough to have a listen and possibly even add to my ipod. 


it’s hard for me to describe bon iver, except to say it is pure love! bon iver is the concept of one man – justin vernon – who recorded all the tracks on his own. after battling mono and much worse – heartbreak, vernon moved into his family’s cabin in the woods of wisconsin .  he planned to just spend the time recovering and being alone.  he never intended for the album to even be produced, but thank goodness it was!  as any of my friends can tell you – i am a true romantic who wears my heart on my sleeve – so the story of the making of for emma, forever ago – the title of bon iver’s album, is so beautiful, i had no choice but to love it.  my favorite tracks are creature fear and skinny love.  If you’re thirsty (word!) for more bon iver, check out the song “roslyn” he recorded with st. vincent for the new moon soundtrack.  ooo vampires! ooo robert pattinson!


here's skinny love.  it reminds me of a new love. one that just can't take off.  a little sad. a little hopeful.



No comments:

Post a Comment