Monday, July 26, 2010

worthless dreams



"i have nothing to say of my working life, only that a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he is not careful."

"if we, citizens, do not support our artists, then we sacrifice our imagination on the alter of crude reality and we end up believing in nothing and having worthless dreams."

i've only just started reading life of pi by yann martel but already these lines stuck out to me.  at first glance they may not seem like related thoughts, but to me they fit together. 

i have no idea if my friends, my peers, or anyone in the world can relate to this... but being in my late 20's has brought me to a place i don't like.  i feel very much in between dreams and reality.  i've been "on my own" as far as supporting myself for 6 years now.  i see that having a job and a paycheck is necessary, that sometimes we have to do things or take jobs that aren't what we'd imagined for ourselves when we were spouting off our little kid dreams. 

but i've also watched people close to me achieve and surpass their dreams, i've watched them decide to change their course and follow what's in their hearts, leaving everyone behind.  sometimes i wonder if i have the strength to take the noose off and follow my bliss.  i'm scared and i wish there was someone in the world who won't tell me everything's going to be ok or that i can do anything i put my mind too... i wish there was someone who would just say "i'm scared too."

No comments:

Post a Comment