Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I have 7 reasons for loving Montana and Cactus Records is #4


this past saturday (april 17th) was record store day... a day to support your local, independent record stores.  most hosted live bands, prizes, sweet deals and all-around good vibes.  people lined up hours in advance to make sure to take part... my fantastic brother was first in line outside his favorite brooklyn record store to pick up a pavement record - he made friends for the 2 hours he waited - and deemed himself "king of the nerds." that's a title i covet!  my friend katie worked her ass off for months to prepare the ma and nh stores for the day.  this is katie's photo at bull moose with circa survive performing in-store. awesome!


the record store website is full of lots of goodies - my favorite part is the artist quote section -  i wish i could post them all for you - here's a sample, but head over and read them all!


 Andrew W.K.:

"I grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which had no shortage of amazing record stores. The hours I spent wandering about one in particular -Encore Records - was all time well spent. Speaking with clerks and customers, being introduced to music I never knew existed, and sometimes just looking at record covers - I enjoyed every aspect of the record store 'shopping' experience. There's a certain indescribable feeling that I was always left with - feeling motivated and like the world was so full of possibility. I love Newbury Comics! I remember the first time I entered the flagship store in Boston - right away I was struck by the beautiful aroma - it was the smell of music, books, and the people that love them!”


and... record store day got a shout-out on snl's weekend update...


next april, make sure to get out and support the remaining record stores in your neighborhood.  it's important!
iloveyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment