Wednesday, August 24, 2011

make a cake pedestal!


Another quick how-to… antique cake plates.  This one is really simple – I can’t wait to bake a cake for my dad next weekend and use it!  Here’s what you’ll need to gather up:
Pretty plate
Old goblet/wine glass/cup
Glass/chine cement (I use Elmer’s- it works perfectly and is pretty cheap @ $4.99)


This weekend I was on a mission.  Both my dad’s birthday and Z’s birthday are happening so of course they are both getting pretty cakes.  I headed into the antique store and picked up a pretty blue and white plate.  I saw a few glasses scattered around but nothing really struck me… then I saw a single, etched mini wine goblet with a gold dipped rim.  Perfect I thought! Then, as always, my eye caught on something else: a set of six milk glass mini goblets. I LOVE milk glass so much so there was so way I was leaving without them (plus, they were a steal at $10 for 6).  I also grabbed a couple hand-embroidered handkerchiefs (swoon!) and headed home.


Step 1: The gold rim of the goblet with seriously faded so I taped off the areas of the glass I didn’t want to paint and sprayed the remainder with gold leaf.  I let the paint dry then peeled off the tape.  Looked perfectly lovely. 


Step 2: Make sure both your plate and glass are clean and dry.  Flip the plate over and find the center where you’ll attach the glass.  I eyeballed it – but you Type A’s can measure it. 




Step 3: Flip the glass over and apply glue to bottom underneath rim of the glass (not the end you would drink from).  Be precise and quick as the glue is runny.  Attach the glass to the underneath center of the plate.  Apply pressure.  You will need to leave this overnight to make sure it holds.  I put a book on top for firm pressure.





Flip it over, and voila! A pretty cake plate.   You could also repeat the steps for a tiered look using a plate as the base.


Now, for the milk glasses:  They are cute and tiny so for a few of them, I plan on getting dessert plates and making them single cupcake stands.   


If DIY is not your thing (I was at a party the other night with older women and they told me crafts were “gross and dirty!”) I strongly urge you to lay your eyes on these: 

   they are the most gorgeous cake pedestals a girl could dream of having.  They deserve a prize simply for their display (at Bountiful on abott kinney in venice beach). Heart heart heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment