Friday, November 5, 2010

i've been cheating on fashion with furniture.

my interior design class last night was held at my teacher's house.  she lives in a georgeous old house on comm ave - it was built in 1859.  she kept all the original moldings and had any new moldings made to look just the same as the old ones.  everything was tonal and pretty ornate.  certainly too ornate for my taste but the beauty of it was undeniable.  i was most jealous of her artwork; although 90% of it was not my taste, the sheer amout of art she has collected is impressive.  the extent of my "art" is drawings friends made, mirrors from thrift stores and bunting i got from etsy. oh and an elvis clock with moving legs my ex-boyfriend sent me from memphis. yeah. 

my teacher was funny - she's a huge fan of designing homes and paining them entirely in shades of cream.  i'm the opposite - while white is beautiful and clean and i love it too - i love color!  i love a green wall or a blue desk.  i like a kitchen table with six mismatched chairs.  she would always pull specific slides for me of the craziest rooms/patterns/fabrics/colors.  my taste is still evolving but i think once it's time for me to have my very own house, i'll nail it.  here are some images of things i like... it's not cohesive, there's some different styles but you'll get the idea.

here i love the repurposed wood, antique radio and mid-century chair.  i would die for this room.

i like the dark grout and bright green tub.

some people are completely against painting wood.  i'm not.  i love these reupholstered chairs - the fabric is sweet and the teal is great.

 i included this shot because i think mirrored furniture is fantastic, i like the blue walls and purple bedding.  i don't like the frames over the bed.  too busy.

again, i love the painted floors and lucite chairs.

 the frames in all one color, with different textures and sticking to butterflies is great for a little girls room. 

i'm a sucker for this photo - i loved the styling of it.
 i want this kitchen.  it is so simple and perfect.  the only thing i don't like is the green shades.

these chairs were cast-offs from restuatant daniel in ny.  re-upholstered and totally hip. 
all photos from design sponge.

No comments:

Post a Comment