Wednesday, November 3, 2010

they don't make stationary like this where i'm from.



music news. past and present.

weezer just reissued pinkerton.  it comes with some b sides, some acoustics and death to false metal - another album.  i can't imagine many people my age not having some sort of weezer memory or affection.  for me, the blue album was the first compact disc i ever bought.  i loved it like a baby and was psyched when pinkerton came out.  unlike many, my 14 year old self loved it.  identified less with the sexual/madame butterfly content and more with the emo side of it.  i had this massive crush on my brother's friend dave and i imagined him singing across the sea to me.  now i see the creepiness of it, but little girl me played it over and over and over in my mint green bedroom with an innocence that makes my heart break all over again.

ptichfork has a great review of it - please read it here if you're as nostalgic as i am. 


next up.  my favorite of all time band - death cab - apparently has plans to release a new album in 2011.  which is great news.  if the apocalypse does come in 2012, at least we'd have one last death cab record.  here's what ben gibbard had to say to spin (i love vintage keyboards so this might excite me):
It's not a guitar-based record,We've been into vintage keyboards and playing with that palette. We're not adding guitars because people will be expecting them…I'm so proud of this album that at this point I don't care if people don't like it. We're all moving into a period in our lives where family is very important, So living off in the woods for a month away from family isn't something we want to do. On this record I've written a couple songs in our downtime between studios and we start recording that brand new song on the first day of the next session, which is something we've never really had the opportunity to do before.
(jerry, thick shakes, old school keyboard, downtown crossing, this summer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment