Wednesday, July 20, 2011

nailed it.

 
Because I’m on a limited budget, I stick to DIY manicures.  I’ve become pretty great at doing my own nails but lately {probably because it’s summer, and also because I am at a less strict job} I’ve been hunting for more interesting options.  Welp, I found em.
First up, Sally Hansen Salon Effects.  They are nail polish strips that you stick to your nails, file down, and require no drying time.  I picked up the gold with lace overlay and they turned out great.  My friend who was visiting this weekend arrived with the black/white floral pattern, which I liked even better.  She recommended one coat of top coat after you apply the strips.  Recommend!
in "laced up"
in "cut it out"
Next, I read about a million blogs a day and found a great idea for a manicure on one of my daily reads: Cupcakes and Cashmere.  Choose a great color; I used Essie Cute as a Button (pictured at the top of this post).  Then, dip the tip of your ring finger nails into glitter.  I used a coppery/gold.  Coat the tip in glitter then sprinkle on the nail bed for an ombre effect.  Topcoat.  It gives a little bit of funk without being overbearing.  I also tried American Apparel Nail Polish in Mouse (gray) with turquoise glitter.  I recommend Martha Steward glitter; it is super fine and super sparkly. 

My latest nail venture was dipping all my nails in full out glitter.  It looks ridiculous and I am in love with it. They look like Katy Perry nails.  Zach is less enamored of them… perhaps due to the glitter on the table, in the bed, on our food and on his head.
i'm also loving lauren conrad's new beauty blog, and she's apparently obsessed with pretty nails currently too.  here's a photo of her 4th of july nails.  check out her blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment