Thursday, February 18, 2010

i'd do it if i could, i hope you know i would.



yesterday we talked about beards.  today, we talk shakespeare which will then lead to buffalo tom.  if you already get the connection, well then, i adore you.

my most favorite of shakespeare's works is sonnet 130.  it's short. and not sweet.  yet it is the loveliet thing i've ever heard. 

SONNET 130
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white,
But no such roses see I in her cheeks;
And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
As any she belied with false compare.

i will not analyze it - i'm leaving that up to jordan catalano and brian krakow:
"What kind of girl is Shakespeare describing? Is she the most beautiful girl?" mr. katimski asks the class.
Brian: "No,"
teacher: "Is she a goddess? Physically perfect? The kind of girl who stops traffic when she walks down the street?"
Brian: "No."
teacher: "So he's not in love with her?"
jordan: "Yeah. He is."
teacher: "And why is that? Why is he in love with her? What is it? What is it about her?"
jordan opens his mouth, but it is brian who speaks: "She's not just a fantasy. She's got like, flaws. She's real."

aww! so sweet, right?  it makes me want to sneak off to the boiler room with my own long-haired (blonde) boy. 
and the overwhelming theme song, repeatedly played during this episode of my so-called life:
buffalo tom, 'late at night'  and i can assure you, i bought every single buffalo tom album when i was 13 years old, but i played 'late at night' over and over and over in my bedroom. 
 it's too bad jared leto has turned into such a douche.


below is 'late at night'



No comments:

Post a Comment