Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"The sun was made to light worthier toil than this" -Thoreau

I'm pretty sickened by some of my friends' Facebook statuses and especially by the people who showed up at the capitol building chanting "USA, USA" upon hearing about Bin Laden's death. I'm especially ashamed since I'm an American living abroad right now and whether or not Americans realize it, their actions do pervade the global sphere. My Irish roommate said she was "happy that he was dead" but "weirded out that instead of being put on trial and executed, he was sneakily murdered." Instead of going off on a long tangent about how I feel, I'm just compiling some quotations that ran through my head that whole day and some articles I enjoyed reading.

"Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pamela-gerloff/the-psychology-of-revenge_b_856184.html

"The life of a single human being is worth a million times more than all the property of the richest man on earth" -Che Guevara

"Peace cannot be achieved in a system where there are people who make profits on war"

"We live in a world where we hide to make love, although violence is practiced in broad daylight" -John Lennon

"...can we dial back the "America Fuck yeah's" a bit... While the news today may bring closure and maybe even justice, celebration at the loss of life the search for this man has caused feels incredibly gross. Let's show the rest of the world that we aren't as bad as extremists who would have been cheering about the death of a "western world" leader" -a friend of a friend's FB status



"I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world." -Eugene Victor Debs



"Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it."

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/05/201152121358887979.html

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Well maybe when bombs start going off here, people will listen."


WAR IS OVER!
If you want it.






IMAGINE.

No comments:

Post a Comment