Monday, January 9, 2012

movies make our world go round.

I’m lucky to be dating someone who loves going to the movies as much as I do.  He maybe loves it more than me even.  We probably average a movie date a week! And I’m absolutely obsessed with the fact that we have a movie theatre that shows mainstream movies and an indie movie theatre – both within a 5 minute walking radius of our house. We’ve seen a ton over the past month so I thought I’d share a bit of my likes and dislikes:


MI4: Ghost Protocol  - fantastic. Cheesy, action fun.  We saw this with zach’s family in Scottsdale; it was my first MI movie and I loved it!  Totally sold me on the series and gave me a whole new view of tom cruise.  Hey, he may be slightly insane but he makes great movies.  And he is quite handsome.  RECOMMEND.

Martha Marcy May Marlene – creepy movie about cults, starring the youngest Olsen sister: Elizabeth.  She is amazing and beautiful.  The story unfolds in a series of flashbacks to her time in the cult and opens with her escape from it.  She goes to stay with her estranged sister and suffers what we assume are disturbing memories… but you’re left wondering what’s real. John Hawkes as the cult leader will make your skin crawl.  Beware of some disturbing scenes.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND.


Muppets – nostalgic, silly fun.  Most of the songs are awesome but a couple faltered.  Muppet or a Man is the standout song.  Keep your eye peeled for some fabulous star cameos. RECOMMEND


The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – hmm.  I did not read the books; never had a desire.  People say “as long as you can make it through the first 150 pages, you’ll love it.” Umm, that’s A LOT of pages to stick it out through.  Anyways, like I said I didn’t have much knowledge of the story going in.  Had I known the series focused on crimes against women, I would have absolutely not gone.  About 30 minutes in there is the absolute most vile, graphic, disturbing scene I have ever witnessed.  I couldn’t get it out of my head for the remainder of the film (or the week).  DO NOT RECOMMEND


Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – Cold War era British spy film.  I loved this movie.  If you like Gary Oldman, even a little, you will love this.  I love him and he killed it.  In all truth, I was confused at times but after debriefing with Zach over beers, I had a good hold on the film and he just helped fill in the details.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND.


The Descendants – Directed by Alexander Payne and starring George Clooney, I saw this film with Zach and my mom.  As we sat in the balcony of an old theatre, I wondered what they were thinking as the movie was unraveling.  I swore 7 hours passed but when the credits rolled it had only been 2.  I hated this movie.  I found it unbearably slow, horribly boring.  Both Zach and Jude loved it and every review and article I read says it’s a lock for an Oscar nomination and probable win.  Blech.  DO NOT RECOMMEND. 

No comments:

Post a Comment