Sunday, April 13, 2008

CLEVER BEAUTY SHORT-CUTS FOR HIGH-FLYING WOMEN

I found an interesting article on beauty tips from the world’s best-groomed businesswomen. It´s a long article but worth reading. I really enjoyed it! The article is written by Joanna McGarry and taken from the Sunday Times newspaper. I love Sunday newspapers! I think even current affairs articles are more interesting.


The world of big business leaves little time for beauty and grooming. Stress, lack of sleep and regular flying are all sure-fire recipes for lacklustre skin and hair. Yet, somehow, highflying female execs manage to look radiant even stepping off a transatlantic flight. What are their secrets? We talked to some of the world’s best-groomed businesswomen to find out.

Savannah Miller, Designer, Twenty8Twelve
My colourist, Geraldine, at Body Heat in Fulham (020 7371 0976), can do my colour and a blow-dry in less than an hour, which is miraculous, as anyone who colours their hair will know. I always travel with a great scented candle such as Aveda Plant Pure-Fume (£19), so wherever I go it feels a bit more like home. I like to unwind with Aromatherapy Associates Support Equilibrium Bath & Shower Oil (£30; 020 8569 7030).

Ann Pitcher, Buying and merchandising director, Selfridges
I swear by Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque (9 £25). Five minutes after application, my skin looks and feels fantastic. On business trips, combating the dehydrating cabin air is my top priority and Prescriptives Super Flight Cream (£25) does the job well.

Nicky Kinnaird, Founder, Space NK
I am obsessive about silky, smooth skin, and when I’m in need of a pick-me-up, I use Space NK Spa Aroma Energising Shower Gel (£18) and a Space NK Body Wash Cloth (£17), thus ensuring that my post-bathing body cream is not wasted on dead skin cells. If I’m in a rush to get ready, I tie my hair back, apply tinted moisturiser and, where needed, concealer, Lipstick Queen’s Oxymoron lip and cheek tint in Honest Politician (£18) to add colour, define my eyebrows and add a few strokes of black mascara. By Terry Light-Expert (£38) works miracles around the eyes, which always show signs of tiredness first. (All products from http://www.spacenk.com/.)

Maureen Paley, Gallerist
Having my eyebrows done by Sophie Thorpe (http://www.sophiethorpe.co.uk/) saves a great deal of time – they don’t need to be touched for at least four months after a visit to her. I use Eve Lom Cleanser (£48; http://www.spacenk.com/), eye and face creams by Dr Sebagh (from £57; 0800 123400) to keep my skin radiant, and Clarins Hand and Nail Treatment Cream (£16.50). When I go out, I define my lips with Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited (£16.50). I also use Chanel Automatic Liquid Eyeliner (£17) and MaxFactor Masterpiece Max Mascara (£10) to give definition to my eyes. I have speedy application down to a fine art.

Jo Wood, Founder, Jo Wood Organics
I always carry tweezers, just in case I don’t have time to get my eyebrows done. Flying tends to dry out my skin, so I keep it hydrated and relaxed with a face oil made for me by my cosmetologist. To kick-start my circulation, I really love the Langa and Tula Salt Scrubs in my Jo Wood Organics Everyday range (£24 each; 0845 607 6614). I tested a lot of salt scrubs when we were making these products, and I really believe these ones are the business. They have a generous amount of Dead Sea salts, which leave skin unbelievably polished.

Amy Molyneaux, Co-founder and designer, PPQ
No matter how busy I am, I always make time for a soak. I throw in Jurlique organic bath oils (£15; 0800 123 400) – they are amazing. I can’t live without Estée Lauder Gentle Eye Make Up Remover (£15) – it takes it all off in one go without stinging; and Laura Mercier Secret Concealer (£18) is a tiny pot of brilliance.

Marigay McKee, Fashion and beauty director, Harrods
To save time, I have a weekly manicure and two blow-dries at the Urban Retreat salon at Harrods. It is a great opportunity to catch up on reading, and it means not having to think about my hair or nails for the rest of the week. I love Rodial Glam Balm (£62; http://www.rodial.co.uk/) for travelling. Its an all-purpose balm that can be used as for everything from hand cream to face mask.

Tamara Mellon, Founder and president, Jimmy Choo
Japanese hair-straightening saves me loads of time, as it means I hardly have to go to the hairdressers, especially when travelling. The only downside is that I always have to wear my hair straight. A deep tissue massage is a really good antidote to jet lag. When I have time, I head to the One & Only’s Reethi Rah in the Maldives (http://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/). It has an outdoor treatment room, so you can hear the waves while having a massage.

Tamara Hill-Norton, Founder, Sweaty Betty
My travel must-haves include Cowshed Knackered Cow Relaxing Bath Foam (£16; http://www.cowshedonline.com/), YSL Touche Eclat (£22.50) and Benefit Benetint (£22.50). Diptyque Figuier scented candles (£50 for three; 020 7727 8673), an hour and a half of yoga and a bottle of Veuve Clicquot are my top relaxants.

Lulu Guinness, Designer
Knowing how to put on strong red lipstick without a mirror saves so much time. It has become my party trick. I’ve worn Mac Lipstick in Ruby Woo (7 £11) for years. It’s the strongest, deepest red.

Sahar Hashemi, Founder, Coffee Republic
My favourite beauty discovery is Urban Retreat The Cleanser by Anastasia Achilleos (£12, from Boots). Anastasia taught me to massage it on for a good 10 minutes. I then cover my face with a hot, wet flannel doused in Aromatherapy Associates Pure Essential Oil of Lavender (£10.50). It is like a mini-facial – my bathroom smells like a spa and my skin glows. When I am flying, I use Dr Sebagh High Maintenance Cream (£120; 0800 123400). It is like Polyfilla for wrinkles and comes with a smaller pot for travelling.

Linda Bennett, Founder of LK Bennett
I’m a huge fan of Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser (£10.75; http://www.lizearle.com/). It removes make-up easily, leaving my face really clean and glowing. Also, her Superskin Concentrate (£16.95), made with rosehip oil, is a must. It’s compact enough for when I’m on the move.

Julia Reynolds, CEO of Figleaves.com
My beauty regime is fairly simple. I find the most effective way to save getting-ready time is to have a really good haircut every six weeks. That way, it should only take 10 minutes to style. Decléor face creams (from £27; 020 7313 8780) and Decléor Aromessence Oils (6 from £38) are the only products that stop my skin drying out on planes.

Jenne O, Shoe designer
To save time, I double up – Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil (£22) removes make-up and moisturises at the same time. I also carry two YSL make-up pens, so I can easily apply my make-up in a taxi. Touche Brilliance (£18) lip gloss and Touche Eclat (£22.50) work wonders.

TRAVEL TIP
Even travel-sized products can add extra weight to luggage, so leave the hard work to http://www.hqhair.com/ . Order your favourite products online and it will have them waiting for you in your hotel room on arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment